Dear Parents & Teens,
Century Driving School understands that driving can be a stressful and confusing process. We’re here to help guide you towards becoming a SAFE and CONFIDENT licensed driver. After being in the business since 1986, we’ve realized that the same question is always asked, “Now what do I do?”
If you are at least 15 ½ but younger than 18:
- The first step is to take the Driver Education course, which is offered on our website (you can also take the course in a classroom if it is offered in your area or at your school). Once you complete this course, you will receive a Blue Certificate of Completion (DMV calls this Certificate DL 387 or OL 237). Which is no longer offered on our website
- After completing the Driver Education course, you will need to receive a White Certificate of Enrollment in Driver Training (OL 392). This certifies that you have enrolled in a 6-hour DMV-approved behind-the-wheel training.
- You will fill out the DMV application DL 44. In addition to this application, you will need to provide DMV with the following information:
- Social Security number
- Original Birth Certificate
- Application fee which allows you three opportunities to pass the written exam.
- Present both your Certificate of Completion of Driver Education and your Certificate of Enrollment in Behind the Wheel Training.
- Pass a vision exam, give a thumbprint and have your picture taken.
- Pass the written exam, which has 46 questions. You must answer at least 39 correct in order to pass.
- Once you pass, you will receive your Provisional Permit.
YOUR PERMIT IS NOT LEGALLY VALID UNTIL YOU RECEIVE A SIGNATURE FROM A LICENSED INSTRUCTOR DURING YOUR FIRST BEHIND THE WHEEL LESSON**
** YOU CAN NOT DRIVE ALONE FOR THE FIRST SIX MONTHS THAT YOU HAVE YOUR PROVISIONAL PERMIT. **
If you want to take the DMV Drive Test to receive your license, follow these steps:
- You must be at least 16 years old
- You must have your provisional permit for six months prior to taking the DMV Drive Test
- In the six months you have the Provisional Permit, you must:
- Practice driving for 50 hours with a California licensed adult who is at least 25 years old, 10 of which must be done while driving at night.
- Complete all 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training with a DMV-approved Licensed Instructor.
- Call DMV toll-free to schedule your appointment at +1 (888) 921-1117 (Voice Recognition)
- or +1 (800) 777-0133 (Automated)
Once you’ve completed all of these steps, you can call your local DMV to schedule an appointment for a Drive Test!